Thursday, August 14, 2008

Update on Levi

As many of you know Levi has had difficulty in talking. He has speech and language delays. A few weeks ago he had a 2 hour assessment by a lady with the Elk Grove School district. I was a little nervous not knowing how Levi would do. I was afraid he was going to be in a place he has never been before and not cooporate. He surprised me and did really well. I was very pleased with him. He didn't have one problem the whole time the lady was working with him. I tried to just stay back and sit quiet while the lady was doing the assessment. At the end of the session we talked about his issues. She said that he has speech problems but that she is more worried about Levi's comprehension which as his mother I have said that from day one. I feel like sometimes people think I use that to let Levi get away with things when really I know he doesn't always understand what you are telling him. It's VERY frustrating and hard to not get upset with him sometimes but then how can I get too mad when he doesn't understand. She said that when his comprehension falls into place then his speech will pick up. That makes total sense to me. I had to go back a week later to have a meeting with her to see if Levi qualified for the services for his needs. I knew with out a doubt he would get speech therapy. The meeting went for 1 1/2 hrs. she told me that Levi of course gets to have speech at Fite elementary School. She said he needs speech for the language part more then the talking part. He doesn't understand and doesn't have enough vocabulary so he doesn't talk. She said he favors 2-3 words at a time and so when you talk to him you only add one word to that. Now I'm am still just waiting for a phone call to make an appointment for speech. Hope this all works!!

1 comment:

Andy Porter said...

I'm glad you had a good meeting. It's always nice when someone can confirm what you understand about your own child. Good luck with everything!!
~Andrea