Saturday, November 19, 2011

Update on Levi

This past week I had parent/teacher conference with Levi's teacher, Mrs. Phillips. Anytime I have a meeting at school that has to do with Levi I am always a little nervous. Nervous because I am afraid they are going to tell me he is struggling academically in a certain area since some times that goes hand in hand when there is speech delay involved. To my surprise with all the meetings I have had about Levi there has never been a problem with his academics! I found out at this meeting that again, Levi, is doing VERY well with his academics! Which makes  us happy! In fact he is doing TOO WELL! This is bitter/sweet for me....let me explain why. The services Levi has received from school is all he has ever known. Small classes with 2-3 teachers helping at all times. He loves it! His journey with school so far has been terrific for him. I think for the most part he is happy, doing well, loves his friends, loves his teachers, loves his school and feels a part of it all. Most important he's comfortable. I found out in the meeting this is all going to be ripped away from him right in the middle of the school year! He is doing SO well that they are now afraid the class he is in could do a dis-service to him. I hate it. I want him to continue through this school year with what he knows.

I am sooooo proud of him. He is bright. Every week since school has started he has passed his spelling tests with 100%!!! Mrs. Phillips showed me his report card for the first semester. He had all 3's which is like being a straight A student. She gave me an example of how well he is doing. By the end of the first semester you are suppose to know so many sight words. By the end of the school year you are suppose to know 115. Levi right now knows 137. He has surpassed what he is suppose to know and then some for first grade all in one semester. He is reading 31 words per minute. I guess that is really good for first semester in first grade. We have a, "snarty pants" {as the way Levi says it} on our hands! He received this week 2 awards. One for doing random acts of kindness towards others and the other for reading fluency. He is such a sweet boy. I knew he was going to receive some awards, but I didn't know what. I told him we don't make others feel bad if they don't get an award. He said, "no Mom, I can help them to be better."

Mrs. Phillips believes that Levi should be main streamed into first grade full time. Which means he has to switch schools! Coppin, where he is at now is not his home school. When main streamed he has to attend his home school. No more Mrs. Phillips, Mrs. Medina and his friends. Mrs. Phillips said we can take it slow. We are going to have another meeting in Jan. after the Holiday's to decided when to exactly do this. I have 2 choices right now. I can put him at our home school, Twelve Bridges, or I can put him in a Charter school that just opened up this year called, John Adams Academy. I have decisions to make on what is going to be best for him. He doesn't know any of this right now. So PLEASE DO NOT SAY ANYTHING to him about it! We are waiting until we know more information. I worry how he is going to take it.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Tough decisions Lisa--one thing I've noticed is that I worry a lot more about changes for my kids than they do. They are pretty resilient, and I hope Levi will be too. Good Luck!

Brenda Clayton said...

I always thought it I ever have to move my kids to a new school at a young age I would volunteer in the classroom the first day and bring cupcakes and be extra fun so the kids can see how fun of a family we are and hopefully that would help make friends for my child. Just my two cents. =)