Thursday, June 26, 2008

Deloitte,Training, San Francisco, and Small Hotel Room



As all of you have read, I have been in SF all week for training. The training is for Interns, but I am a new hire. If you are confused by this, that is ok, so is everyone else here! So there are 74 interns here in the SF office and 1 new hire, me.

I am here because the new hires are supposed to start in September but I asked to start early and not have to wait. I want my salary now! lol. So, here I am forced to sit in classes for training that are basically reviewing my audit class that I took last semester. FUN! (sarcastically rolling my eyes and sighing) Lucky for me the SF office is so large that there are people from all over...and since this is the accounting profession...which means... there are some interns are here from BYU. Sweet, finally some people I can relate to! So of the 75 of us there are three people that are married and have young kids and that is me and the BYU intern and another person. Over the week Mike, the BYU intern, and I have become good buddies and why not, everyone here thinks we are practically clones compared to how they live. He is cool and it has been fun having someone to relate with among the sea of 20-22 year old kids.

Well I arrived in SF on Sunday evening after a painful 2 hour drive in weekend traffic and a sweet ticket, that will be arriving in the mail any day now, for not having $4 in cash to pay the toll at the Bay Bridge, oops my bad. So my $4 toll quickly became $29 ($4 toll + $25 fee) What a joke!

After that I headed to the city in search for my hotel. Once I found it I could not park ANYWHERE. I circled the blocks desperately looking for a parking garage...nope they were all closed on Sunday. How absurd of me to think that a parking garage would be open on Sunday when the rest of the town's stores were jam packed with people, what was I thinking that a little old parking garage would be open.

In the end I decided to give my car up to the Valet people at the hotel for a measly $40 a night plus tax, sorry Deloitte you will be reimbursing me that...take it up with them about the $200 spent on parking. So I checked in and FINALLY headed to my room for some peace and quiet. Well the room was quiet, but it was smaller than my first missionary apartment in Soissons, France and I think that thing was like 150 sq. ft. So I measured it in here and it is something around 100 sq. ft. Wow, I did not realize that I could live in such a small place for a week. But in all is has grown on me...it is quite cozy, now that I have gotten used to the fact that I am in a dungeon. It is really dim in here, cause there are not many light fixtures and my one window looks into, what looks like a elevator shaft. If I look straight up I can kind of see some light.

In all it has been an interesting week. I have learned a lot at Deloitte and have realized how sweet of a Corporation they will be to work with. I am excited for the road ahead. I hate that I had to leave my family all this week, especially during a time when my kids are young and are not sleeping AT ALL! again Lisa I am so sorry. You did great though I am very proud of you and your courage.

2 comments:

Jeni said...

I bet it felt really quiet being all alone in that room at night. Congrats on your big accomplishment in graduating and finding such a great job right away!

Mike said...

Hey Man! Thanks for the mention in your blog. I'm super glad you were there, because if not, that training would of sucked even more. Good luck in Sacramento!