Friday, April 1, 2011

First Grade

Levi's kindergarten teacher, Mrs. Medina, and I spoke on the phone a few days ago. We talked about Levi's progress and how well she thinks he has done through out the year! She said his hand writing has improved A LOT and that his academics are right where they need to be to go into first grade, but....{of COURSE there's a but}that her and the LI {language intensive} teacher for first grade have decided they think Levi is going to stay in that program for first grade. Mrs. Medina told me in Dec. that she thought Levi was doing SO good he would go to mainstream first grade. We were excited but nervous too. Mrs. Medina did a test on Levi just recently. She had him go to the "regular" kindergarten class while they worked on their WH questions {Levi's BIGGEST struggle} and he couldn't answer them as fast as the other kids. His heart was broken and he was very upset. This worried Mrs. Medina that Levi's little sweet spirit would be crushed if she put him in mainstream next year. I totally agree with her! When asking ourselves about Levi he is right on that boarder line of, "do we leave him in the LI program or not?" So to be safe the teachers and therapists decided to leave him in one more year. I am so grateful for them all looking out for Levi and what's in his best interest. He has done SOOOOO well. I am so proud of him! He is the best!

No comments: