Saturday, February 6, 2010

Levi...

is so special to me. I love both my children with all my heart, but with this blog entry I am going to focus more on Levi. Levi has expressive and receptive speech delays. What this means is he has a hard time saying his words and understanding what is being said to him. He has done A LOT better than what he used to be. He has had speech and language therapy almost his whole life. Right now he is in a great preschool program with 8 other classmates that have similar problems. Ms. Julie (his teacher) and Ms. Erica (his therapist) have worked wonders on Levi. He has progressed in so many ways. I am so proud of him. I had a meeting with his teacher and therapist this last week. They said Levi is doing WONDERFUL with his academics. He’s great with his letters, numbers and reading! With all of this they thought when they test him he will pass with flying colors to be able to go ahead in a normal (i hate the word "normal" what is considered "normal") class setting for Kindergarten. This is great!!! There is another problem though that Levi is still having a difficult time with and so in the end he is going to have to have Kindergarten next year with help for his needs. He can do all his academics but he still has a really hard time with comprehension. He can't answer WH questions, who, why, what and where. They think the reason for this, and I agree, is that most of his life he has had to rely on being visual to explain what he wants and needs. So he now is a very very visual person. He can answer those WH questions a lot better if he sees a picture first. They also talked about how they notice that he is sensitive to sounds. That has been a problem of Levi's his whole life. Never likes the vacuum, mixer, shower turned on, etc. He's doing much much better with it all. So Levi right now has auditory sensory overload. His teacher and therapist told me that he realizes that he does not always understand things and that it's frustrating to him. That of course made me really sad because Levi is a very loving sensitive boy and I don't want him to become insecure about himself. My father says, "as soon as the school system ruins his ego, pull him out and find another way." Tyler and I will do all we can.


Levi's favorite things to say right now:
"See you later alligator."
"I do my best Mom."
"I love this one Mom." (he says this about anything he likes)

No comments: